Residency Requirements

Residency Information

The determination of residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by statues enacted by the Texas Legislature and rules and regulations promulgated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THEB). Texas law classifies each person who applies for admission to a Texas public college or university as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign (international) student.

Determining Residency

When students apply for admission, the university uses information they provide on their application to make an initial determination about residency. If the submitted information indicates that the student is not a US citizen or permanent resident but that he or she may qualify for residency based on Texas high school graduation, the student will need to submit the Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident.

The affidavit is a statement by the student that he or she qualifies for residency. It must be completed, signed, notarized, and submitted to A&M University-Texarkana in order for the student to be classified as a resident.

Establishing Residency 

Option 1: Residency through Texas High School Graduation

The option of establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students who hold certain types of visas.

To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

  1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date (usually the 12thclass day) of the semester in which you enroll at A&M University-Texarkana.

If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so.

Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile

This option is for establishing Texas residency is available to:

  • Citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. (non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)).
  • International students who hold an eligible visa.

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:
  • Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  • Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months before census date by doing one of the following:
  • Be gainfully employed in Texas (student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)

Gainful employment is employment that provides income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual’s tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week.

  • Sole or joint marital ownership or residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained domicile at the residence
  • Own or operate a business in Texas
  • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

If you do not supply enough information on your admissions application you may be asked to submit a residency questionnaire to help determine if you meet residency guidelines.  

Non-Resident Information

A student who resides in a state other than Texas, is considered a non-resident.

Senate Bill 1272 may allow students residing in Oklahoma, Arkansas, certain counties in New Mexico, or certain parishes in Louisiana to receive a waiver to pay a lowered non-resident tuition. Please review the information below to see if you qualify for this waiver.

In-State Tuition Rate

A non-resident student who resides in Oklahoma, Arkansas, certain parishes in Louisiana (see below), and certain counties in New Mexico (see below) will receive the in-state tuition rate.

Border County (BC)-Miller and Little River County in Arkansas

Arkansas (AR)-All other counties in Arkansas

Oklahoma (OK)-All counties in Oklahoma

Border Parish Louisiana (BCLA)-Bordering parishes listed below

  • Beauregard Parish
  • Caddo Parish
  • Calcasieu Parish
  • Cameron Parish
  • DeSoto Parish
  • Sabine Parish
  • Vernon Parish

Border County New Mexico (BCNM)-Bordering counties listed below

  • Union County
  • Quay County
  • Curry County
  • Roosevelt County
  • Lea County
  • Eddy County
  • Otero County
  • Dona Ana County

In-State Tuition Rate plus $30.00 per credit hour

A non-resident student who resides in the 44 contiguous states including all other counties in New Mexico and all other parishes in Louisiana will pay the in-state tuition rate plus $30.00 per credit hour.

Foreign Student Tuition Rates

In accordance with Section 54.051(d) of the “Texas Education Code,” the university will set the tuition rates for nonresident students enrolled in public universities and health-related institutions for academic year 2014-2015 at $412.00 per semester credit hour (SCH) plus any designated tuition and, when appropriate, Board-authorized graduate tuition the institution charges. Exceptions include tuition rates for nonresident students enrolled in medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, and law. Those students can find the tuition rates in other paragraphs of Section 54.051 of the “Texas Education Code.”