Undergraduate Degree Plan Requirements

Majors, Minors, and Certifications

A major consists of a minimum of 24 SCH in a subject area. A minor requires a minimum of 18 SCH in a discipline, with the exception of the interdisciplinary-studies minor that requires hours from more than one discipline.

Minimum Courses in Residence

All students seeking a bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 25% of the minimum hours their chosen degree program requires in residence.  “In residence” refers to courses completed through Texas A&M University-Texarkana regardless of delivery method such as Web-based and distance-education courses.  A&M-Texarkana will not consider courses completed though another school, including other Texas A&M University System campuses, in residence.  Additionally, A&M-Texarkana will not consider non-traditional credit such as CLEP, AP, and experiential learning courses resident credit. For example,  a degree requiring 120 SCH will require a minimum of  30 SCH be taken at A&M-Texarkana.

Note:  See the section titled “Second Bachelor’s Degree” for more information regarding residency requirements for subsequent bachelor’s degrees completed. 

Minimum Upper-Division Credit

All students seeking a bachelor’s degree must also complete a minimum of 45 SCH of upper-division course work. Some degrees require up to 54 SCH for an undergraduate degree. The BAAS & the BS in Kinesiology are the exceptions with a minimum of 36 SCH of upper-division course work for BAAS and 41 SCH of upper-division course work for Kinesiology. Upper-division course work is any course work at the junior or senior level.  A course number that begins with a 3 or 4 identifies upper-division courses listed in the university course inventory. If a student’s degree program does not incorporate enough upper-division hours to meet this minimum, the student must complete upper-division electives until he or she meets the minimum.

Degree Audit

Students should refer to their DegreeWorks degree audit in their Web for Students account for more information regarding their degree requirements.​  DegreeWorks is the official degree plan audit used to ensure degree requirements are met for graduation.

Guidelines for Undergraduate Double Majors

The university defines a double major as a single undergraduate degree with two majors.  A student may not pursue more than two majors concurrently in a single degree program. The following guidelines shall apply for all undergraduate students seeking a double major:

  1. A student must meet all university and college requirements for both majors (e.g. curricular, grade-point average, etc.).
  2. A student may not seek more than two majors at one time. 
  3. Both majors must lead to the same degree outcome (e.g. Bachelor of Science (BS) in English and BS in Psychology; Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in Accounting and BBA in Business Administration).
  4. Students seeking a double major will not complete a minor. The university will allow the double major in lieu of a minor. 
  5. A student must submit a formal application to the registrar’s office to request a double major with the appropriate form. The student must complete the process no later than the last scheduled class day of the semester in which the student is scheduled to graduate. 
  6. A student's official degree plan will be created in DegreeWorks, which reflects all requirements necessary to complete the double majors, and the university will assign a faculty advisor for both majors.
  7.  For the Undergraduate Tuition Rebate eligibility and the Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule, the university will use the major with the highest total hours required. The university will charge the additional tuition rate for all hours, which exceed the limit under the Undergraduate Funding Limit Rule.