Texas A&M University-Texarkana
A member of the Texas A&M University System
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
Phone: (903) 223-3000
As a member of The Texas A&M University System, one of the largest and most distinguished higher education systems in the nation, we provide our students with a world-class education in a supportive, family-like community.
- Location: Texarkana, Texas
- Established: 1971
- Joined A&M System: 1996
- Enrollment: 1993 (Fall 2016)
- Degree Programs: 20 Baccalaureate; 12 Masters; 1 Doctoral Program
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 14:1
Texas A&M University–Texarkana, is a comprehensive public university located in Texarkana, Texas. First established as an upper-level center of East Texas State University (ETSU) at Commerce, Texas in 1971, the university received separate accreditation in 1980. In September 1996, the university joined the A&M System. And in 2010, A&M-Texarkana became a full four-year and graduate institution and moved to a beautiful new campus adjacent to Bringle Lake Park in north Texarkana.
- Beautiful 375-acre campus adjacent to Bringle Lake
- State-of-the-art amenities at Bringle Lake Village on-campus residence hall
- Recreation Center under construction (opening December 2017)
- New Building for Academic and Student Services (opening goal of spring 2019)
- Over $17 million in financial aid and scholarships were awarded last year
- 86% of students eligible for financial aid
- Students who reside in Oklahoma and Arkansas attend at in-state tuition rates and Louisiana residents who reside in a parish that borders Texas may also attend at in-state tuition rates.
- Ranked as Most Affordable College for Freshmen with Financial Need in Texas.
- Academic Excellence
- Student Success
- Community Engagement and Leadership
As a member of The Texas A&M University System, Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a comprehensive regional university that provides students with academically challenging, engaging, and rewarding educational experiences through quality teaching, scholarship, student-support services, co-curricular programming, research, and service. The personal attention of our faculty and staff provides students the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, abilities, and skills to become leaders in their chosen professions and prepare for the opportunities of serving in a global environment.
As a first-choice institution known for academic excellence, student success, and community leadership, Texas A&M University-Texarkana will provide the best public undergraduate experience in Texas.
Academic Vision Statement
Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a community of scholars and learners engaged in challenging, student-centered inquiry inside and beyond the classroom.
Community of Scholars and Learners
- We value diversity in faculty, staff, and students because we know diversity drives creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship at all levels of teaching and learning. We also value diversity of thought by our student body because we know this will better prepare our students to examine their own beliefs as well as be successful and competitive in the global market-place.
- We value strong academic relationships between faculty and students and believe that on-going relationships with full-time faculty will promote greater student success. Faculty mentoring students as fellow scholars enhances deep learning, making students integral participants in the educational process.
Challenging Student-centered Inquiry
- We value a broad liberal education that enables the hands-on application of knowledge, skills, and creativity.
- We value low student to faculty ratios in all classes, especially in general education courses in which student mastery is critical to success in discipline specific courses as well as in the workplace.
- We value the delivery of curriculum via high-impact practices that enable faculty to engage students as active rather than passive learners, such as faculty-student research, service learning, and academic learning communities, all of which develop students into life-long learners and global citizens.
- We value teaching students how to think critically and solve complex problems, important outcomes of their formal education and attributes of personal and professional success.
Inquiry Inside and Beyond the Classroom
- We value our world as a rich, authentic learning environment, and we subscribe to the idea that students and faculty are active members of the broader community. We promote initiatives such as study abroad opportunities, international faculty exchange, co-curricular partnerships, internships, and other similar activities effectively and purposefully integrate learning and the application of knowledge and skills.
- We value the intertwining of universities and the public they serve, whether that public be local indivduals, regional corporations, state agencies, or the global populace. Our faculty members, public-resource experts in their fields, enhance the intellectual quality of the campus, region, and discipline.
- We value the civic responsibility a university has to improve the lives of the students and the public it serves through the generation of new and diverse knowledge, the effective distribution of that knowledge, and the service that the university provides its global constituents.
The Strategic Plan for Texas A&M University-Texarkana, “Sharing a Vision, Navigating the Path, Creating our Future”, reflects annual strategic objectives in support of our guiding beliefs. Please visit the Texas A&M University-Texarkana Strategic Plan website for additional information.
2016 Publication Rankings
- Ranked fifth in the Center for Online Education’s list of “Best Online Master of Business Administration Degree Programs.”
- Ranked third on CollegeValuesOnline.com’s list of “Most Affordable Competitive Small Colleges for Business Administration.”
- Ranked 20th in the Center for Online Education’s list of “Best Online Master’s in Educational Technology Degree Programs.”
- Ranked 30th on OnlineCollegePlan.com’s list of “Top 50 Online Bachelor’s Degrees.”
- Recognized as 35th on the list of “50 Best Graduate Nursing Schools in America” by TopMastersinHealthcare.com.
- Recognized as 42nd best nursing school in the Southwest region by NursingSchoolsAlmanac.com (out of 350+ schools in the region).
- Ranked fifth on GradSource.com’s list of “Best Online Master of Business Administration Degrees.”
- Ranked 10th on AffordableCollegesOnline.org’s Best Online Colleges in Texas.
- Ranked fifth on StudentLoans.net’s list of “Best College for Minimizing Student Loan Debt in Texas,” as well as #32 for all public schools and #91 overall.
- Ranked 41st on CollegeChoice.net’s list of “Best Colleges in Texas.”
- Ranked fourth on AffordableColleges.com’s list of “Most Affordable Online Master of Business Administration Programs.”
2017 Publication Rankings
- Ranked first in Texas and 23rd in the nation in Student Loans Report’s recent rankings of the “Most Affordable Colleges for Incoming Freshmen with Financial Need.”
- Ranked 7th on the Houston Chronicle’s list of “Safest Colleges in Texas.”
- Listed in Washington Monthly's "Most Innovative Colleges for Adult Learners in America."