Texas A&M University-Texarkana
A member of the Texas A&M University System
7101 University Avenue
Texarkana, Texas 75503
Phone: (903) 223-3000
Texas A&M University- Texarkana is a comprehensive regional residential institution dedicated to offering career-oriented studies, awarding undergraduate and graduate degrees in the areas of Business Administration, Arts and Sciences, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Education. Students who reside in Oklahoma and Arkansas attend at in-state tuition rates, and historically 30 percent of the student body is from Arkansas. Louisiana residents who reside in a parish that borders Texas may also attend at in-state tuition rates.
- Location: Texarkana, Texas
- Established: 1971
- Joined A&M System: 1996
- Enrollment: 1839 (Fall 2015)
- Degree Programs: 20 Baccalaureate; 12 Masters; 1 Doctoral Program
- Student-to-faculty ratio: 14:1
Texas A&M University–Texarkana, also known as A&M-Texarkana, is a public university located in Texarkana, Texas, USA. It is one of the newest members of The Texas A&M University System. Texas A&M University-Texarkana was first established as an upper-level center of Commerce, Texas based at East Texas State University (ETSU) in 1971. The university received separate accreditation in 1980, and in September 1996 (when ETSU joined the Texas A&M System as Texas A&M University–Commerce), the Texarkana branch became a separate institution from the Commerce campus.
- Recently expanded 375-acre campus
- State-of-the-art amenities at Bringle Lake Village on-campus residence hall
- Over $17 million in financial aid and scholarships were awarded last year
- 83% of students eligible for financial aid
- Lowest of cost of attendance of four-year universities in Texas and in the Arkansas and Oklahoma region
As a member of The Texas A&M University System, Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a comprehensive regional university that provides students with academically challenging, engaging, and rewarding educational experiences through quality teaching, scholarship, student-support services, co-curricular programming, research, and service. The personal attention of our faculty and staff provides students the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, abilities, and skills to become leaders in their chosen professions and prepare for the opportunities of serving in a global environment.
As a first-choice institution known for academic excellence, student success, and community leadership, Texas A&M University-Texarkana will provide the best public undergraduate experience in Texas.
Academic Vision Statement
Texas A&M University-Texarkana is a community of scholars and learners engaged in challenging, student-centered inquiry inside and beyond the classroom.
Community of Scholars and Learners
- We value diversity in faculty, staff, and students because we know diversity drives creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship at all levels of teaching and learning. We also value diversity of thought by our student body because we know this will better prepare our students to examine their own beliefs as well as be successful and competitive in the global market-place.
- We value strong academic relationships between faculty and students and believe that on-going relationships with full-time faculty will promote greater student success. Faculty mentoring students as fellow scholars enhances deep learning, making students integral participants in the educational process.
Challenging Student-centered Inquiry
- We value a broad liberal education that enables the hands-on application of knowledge, skills, and creativity.
- We value low student to faculty ratios in all classes, especially in general education courses in which student mastery is critical to success in discipline specific courses as well as in the workplace.
- We value the delivery of curriculum via high-impact practices that enable faculty to engage students as active rather than passive learners, such as faculty-student research, service learning, and academic learning communities, all of which develop students into life-long learners and global citizens.
- We value teaching students how to think critically and solve complex problems, important outcomes of their formal education and attributes of personal and professional success.
Inquiry Inside and Beyond the Classroom
- We value our world as a rich, authentic learning environment, and we subscribe to the idea that students and faculty are active members of the broader community. We promote initiatives such as study abroad opportunities, international faculty exchange, co-curricular partnerships, internships, and other similar activities effectively and purposefully integrate learning and the application of knowledge and skills.
- We value the intertwining of universities and the public they serve, whether that public be local indivduals, regional corporations, state agencies, or the global populace. Our faculty members, public-resource experts in their fields, enhance the intellectual quality of the campus, region, and discipline.
- We value the civic responsibility a university has to improve the lives of the students and the public it serves through the generation of new and diverse knowledge, the effective distribution of that knowledge, and the service that the university provides its global constituents.
Passion for Excellence
Culture of Learning and Success
Community Engagement and Leadership
Stewardship of Valuable Resources
Integrity, Honesty, and Visibility
The Strategic Plan for Texas A&M University-Texarkana, “Sharing a Vision, Navigating the Path, Creating our Future”, reflects annual strategic objectives in support of our guiding beliefs. Please visit the Texas A&M University-Texarkana Strategic Plan website for additional information.